Friday, July 3, 2009

Prairie Home and other fun stuff

If you had the good fortune to listen to last week's broadcast of Prairie Home Companion (with special guests Martin Sheen, Steve Martin, and Arlo Guthrie), you should know that WE WERE THERE!

Way back in December, for Bryan's birthday, I told him that I'd like to take him to a Boston Symphony Orchestra performance...but then we had a busy few months, and by the time he got around to choosing, it was nearly summer. Even though Prairie Home Companion is not exactly the BSO, it was at Tanglewood, their summer home in western Mass. - so we decided to go for it!

I was glad we'd gotten tickets under the shed (essentially a giant pole barn with three open sides), because it rained on and off all afternoon and poured during the performance. (The other option at Tanglewood is to get tickets on the lawn, where you can hear but not see so much. Going to Tanglewood is clearly a Berkshires institution; the lawn is covered with blankets, chairs, picnics of all kinds, and people arrive at noon to stake out their spots.)

There were two best parts for me: watching the sound effects guy do his stuff, and seeing Arlo Guthrie. Before the show, we spent a couple of hours wandering Lenox, Mass., and we bought a case of beer made in the Berkshires to take home and enjoy over the course of the summer. We spent the night in Northampton (with dinner at the Northampton Brewery). The first sessions of camp started on Sunday, so that was a nice way to kick off the season.

Last night, we had the second part of our belated birthday celebration: we got all dressed up and had dinner at a Boston restaurant called Pigalle. Everything on their menu is imaginative and delicious; we had a five-course tasting menu. I think we will have to fast to recover today! No Boston Pops for us; we tried to go last year and ended up soaked, so we're just going to relax today (our day off), and then I'll be working at camp all weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'd say Bryan had a very nice birthday! I've always wanted to see PHC - and to go to Tanglewood, too, that's really neat! And Arlo Guthrie - a classic!

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!