It was pretty easy skills-wise, but we did learn a few things along the way. The humidity in our house is fairly low; all the tenons got smaller between the time we sanded and test-fit all the pieces (the day we brought the kit home), and the day we glued everything. Next time, we won't test-fit until the kit has been in the house a few days. We used the "Shaker Oil" finish with beeswax; it contains turpentine and smells awful. Next time, we'll use just the beeswax and some mineral oil.
The biggest lesson was in the weaving. The directions say to warp the middle of the seat, weave about halfway toward the front, and then go back and add pieces of warp to fill in the triangles at the edges of the seat. I weave very tightly, so this is really hard. For us, it would have been better to add the additional warp pieces as we were weaving each row - much easier to tack the ends that way.
You'll notice I did say "next time". I think the plan is that we'll just keep making chairs until we have enough for eight (or more?) dinner guests. We're also thinking about a bench for the foot of the bed - that would be really easy weaving!
We're planning to put this chair in the bedroom for the time being, so Bryan has a place to sit when he puts on his socks.
![]() |
| From Other Crafts |
| From Other Crafts |

I pretty much covet every single item in my Shaker Workshop catalog. Your chair looks just amazing. The two of you did such nice work. I love the colors you chose for the shaker tape.
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine how nice the yellow shirt Bryan sewed will look positioned on that shawl back. ( it was yellow right? I mean like if he only wore it for a little while and could use a few more hours wear before throwing it in the Shaker laundry basket)
Someday I may break down and order the Mt. Lebanon Work Table and a few Elder and Straight chairs. Perhaps a Enfield side table .........
PS I have used linseed oil and turpentine on many of my refinishing projects. Well, actually since I was 20 years old and took a refinishing class. I kind of like the smell ( could explain why I have sinus problems) but I think I always applied the finish out of doors and then let the item air for awhile in the garage.
ReplyDeleteI was told the disadvantage of this old finish was the linseed would darken the wood but the furniture I did almost 40 years ago still looks good to me. (did I say 40 years? how did that happen?)
Absoluely beautiful. What fun.
ReplyDeleteMakes me want to get back to caning. I started a cane chair for a friend a few years back, with the single strands, and Thomas enjoyed eating the ends off underneath, so needless to say I probably have to start over.
I will post if I ever get it done.
I can't wait to see your new chair! And what fun colors you choose! Good for you guys being able to "make" something together. If you really want to "test" your marriage, try wallpapering!
ReplyDelete