Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My life with FODMAP

I am sorry for this somewhat self-centered and delicate topic. It is all about me, so if you don't want to know, stop reading now! Writing about it seems to help me comprehend what I need to do.

My body has been having little issues with certain foods for decades. I think the first time I really remember an "episode" was when I was 18 years old. A bar in EauClaire delivered the best hamburgers to the dorm-large, thin patty on a great bun with about a ½" thick slice of raw onion. I spent many hours in the bathroom, and learned never to eat raw onion again.

About 20 years ago, with the help of google I diagnosed myself with diverticulosis. I avoided certain trigger foods, and did kind of OK.  Then I had my first colonoscopy about 1 ½ years ago. The doctor confined diverticulosis, and said I need to eat more fiber. I was also trying to change our diets, to reduce fat and improve our cholesterol levels.  If one excludes excess calories, my diet was pretty balanced. I pointed out I was already eating between 25 and 30 grams of fiber per day, but he wanted me to up it to 40 or 50 grams per day. I have pretty much been having several "episodes" each week since the colonoscopy. I have gone back to the doctor multiple times, discussed this with my primary care physician, and finally switched primary care physicians. My new PC directed me to a gastroenterologist. I wanted months for the appointment. It seems I have a form of diverticulosis that MIMICS irritable bowel syndrome. ( At least I really don't have irritable bowel!)

I would say that about 90% of what I was eating- and I consider that to have been a well-balanced diet of a wide variety of real foods; low in red meats, low really in all meat and poultry, cheese and dairy, high in a wide variety of dried beans,  fruits and vegetables and complex carbohydrates, was making my condition worse. My new diet, the Low FODMAP is so overwhelming to me I am having a difficult time even getting started with it.

Emily told me to not focus on what I can't have. This is so true but so far I have been unable to even find a store bought bread I can eat. (I have a first trial run of no-wheat, no-dairy bread in the bread machine as I type. I HOPE it is good). Basically I am to limit any kind of carbohydrate with a long complex chain of glucose. My digestive system is unable to break the bonds, and the food ferments causing my "episodes". I recall studying molecular chains about 40 years ago, but that doesn't make it any easier. No grain ( I can have gluten, just not the wheat, rye etc) No fructose (fruits, honey). No Lactose/Dairy (although I can have butter and mozzarella cheese). No Galalactans ( dried beans and lentils, no soy). No Polyols (complex surgars like sorbitol, corn syrup, stone fruits- like apricots, cherries, peaches. no avocado.)  I feel like I turned into a carnivore overnight. I am hoping to change that as I get more creative. It is going to be hard to ever eat in a restaurant again.

I can have bananas, grapes, berries, carrots, potatoes and corn. I miss green beans, apples, broccoli, mushrooms and dried fruits. I am doing OK with almond milk. I have seen ads for almond milk yogurt but so far have not been able to find any. The real difficulty seems to be wheat. I am eating a lot of rice and oatmeal. There is no way I can eat the foods from my CSA, almost all are now on the wrong side of my Food Choices list. I think what is most hard for me is that I have a great pantry stash and loaded freezer. I can't seem to wrap my head around the use of it all. Should I give it to the food pantry or should make up two meals; one for myself, and another for Jeff and Rachel. Sometimes I am going to have to make two meals. I worry about what my cholesterol level is going to do. I was able to lower my LDL 17 points by just diet alone last year, eating all my odd CSA vegetables.

So, this is what is happening at our house. Trying to work my way through this. I cheated yesterday and ate two slices of rye bread. Yes, it definately bothers me.

If I can stay on a strict Low FODMAP diet for 6 weeks, then I can start trying to reintroduce foods one at a time. I think I will start with green beans, or maybe watermelon, or even a mushroom, dried cranberry, honey ….. maybe a glass of wine. I am not so bothered by the fact I can't have a beer. Maybe I will feel differently when brat season comes around.

1 comment:

  1. The new diet sounds like a real challenge! But if it helps, isn't it worth it? I think Emily has it right - just make a list of all the things you CAN HAVE, and plan your meals from that list. Maybe this is the summer to skip the CSA, use up your freezer and pantry stash for meals for Jeff & Rachel - or better yet - have Rachel take over the cooking for herself and Jeff. You just take a break - concentrate on the right food for you, and see how it goes! I know, easier said than done. Jackie

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!