We went hiking on Sunday. We went to Joseph D. Grant Ranch County Park, which is up in the hills but is not really very far away. It was a beautiful sunny day, with highs in the low eighties. It was only about a half-hour drive, and most of that was the seven miles of winding roads up into the hills.
The park was nearly deserted - maybe 10% of the parking spaces were full, and we only once saw other people out on the trails. Entrance fee is $6 per car, and there's water and good bathrooms. There are campgrounds as well.
The area is used for cattle grazing, and there are some barns, pens, and gated pastures on the property. We didn't ever see any cattle (although we did see some turkeys). A couple of times, we had to climb over gates when the pedestrian part of a gate wouldn't open.
I'm told that the orange flowers are California poppies. (I wonder if veterans' groups in CA give orange poppies instead of red ones? Is that even still a thing? Neither Bryan nor I could remember the last time we saw one of those red paper poppies.)
We have to buy some new sunscreen; ours is expired, and we are both a bit red around our necks, where our shirts didn't cover.
That's all the news from us. Hope you are finally having some spring weather in WI/MN, and all the snow is melting.
Love,
Amanda




That looks lovely. Could you smell the grass? I almost can. Wish you had seen some cows (no bulls, though).
ReplyDeleteI am not sure when I last saw poppies handed out, but Joe got one several years back outside of a store in Cloquet and it is still in his car.
Thanks for sharing your hike.