Friday, March 27, 2009

Summer Veggies and Fish

This summer I have signed up for a Community Supported Agriculture(CSA) and a Community Supported Fishery(CSF) share. I'm really excited about it. I will hardly going to need to go to the store! But I will have to spend a lot of time cooking.

The CSA is at Hatchet Cove Farm which is about a 20 minute drive from me. The woman I spoke with is extremely nice. I can't wait to get vegetables that I never eat, like Kale and Celeriac. I might be calling on you for recipes. The farm has also be talking about partnering with an area creamery to start a cheese share. I love cheese, although I'm not sure I could or should eat enough every week to buy a share.

The CSF is called Port Clyde Fresh Catch. The group of groundfisherman started this about a year ago and it has gotten a lot of publicity. I believe there was even an article in the New York Times about it. Port Clyde is one of the last ground fishing ports in Maine and they really want to make it sustainable. My roommates father is one of the fisherman and has struggled the past few years. The price of fish as gone down and regulations on fishing have increased.

My friend, Sara, and I are splitting a half share, so we each will get 3/4 to a 1 lb of fish fillets each week. Depending on what they bring in we could get haddock, cod, flounder, hake, dabs, grey sole, monkfish, pollock and redfish. This will be more fish than I have eaten before. I hope I don't get sick of it. The kicker is you get half of the fish and have to fillet it yourself. Sara says she has experience with this and will fillet for us. I hope so, although it will be fun to learn.

The CSF starts in early June and I get the first box of veggies in mid-June. I'll let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

  1. I want a better CSA (less lettuce, soooooo much lettuce) AND a fish share too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Em, that sounds lovely. Fish is good for you, too. You better get a head start on allrecipes.com and get some recipes lined up. I would not like the part of fileting, however. I appreciate the fact that Joe does that part.

    I am my own CSA this year, not as much variety, but right in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Darleen! There are meat CSAs around here...but we don't eat nearly enough meat to need one. A fish CSA, now that's cool! Hooray for local food. (Also, somewhere in Maine there's an organic granola bakery. Maybe I need a field trip north!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you gets lots of beets. Mmm, I love beets.

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!