Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hello from Edinburgh

I just wanted to share a couple highlights from my past week in Scotland.

The picture on the left is of us pony trekking. My friend Amy (far right) is part of the Exmoor Pony Trekking Club at the University of Edinburgh. In the summer they take the ponies up into the highlands for trail rides. We went for a tour hour ride. It was so fun. My pony was named Rosie and liked to go really slowly and then go fast to catch up. I laughed the whole ride. We also rode through a field of sheep. The guy in the middle is Amy's husband, Bradon.

I spent the last two nights on the Isle of Mull at in this amazing place, the Camas Centre. I was visiting a friend who works there. It is a retreat center where groups come and participate in activities, go camping, kayaking, etc. To get to the center you have to take a ferry over to the island catch one of 4 busses a day, ride for 40 minutes, then walk a mile and a quarter down a muddy track. The center has limited electricity provided by a wind turbine and grow all their own vegetables. You can't tell from this picture, but there are sheep roaming everywhere. It is so fun to walk out the door and have sheep munching grass right there. Plus they don't have to mow the lawn. I want a sheep.


While staying on Mull, we took the ferry over to the Iona. Iona is famous for an Abbey which dates back to the 1300's. It was really neat and I will post pictures of it later. This is the beach on Iona. It was gorgeous. If it wasn't cold out I would have though I was in the Carribean. Supposedly they have bottlenose dolphins there, but I didn't see any. I did see a hedgehog in the garden at Camas though. It was so cute!

Ok, I think I'll head to bed now. Tomorrow I'm going into Edinburgh for the day to do some shopping and tour the museum. Then on Monday I'm off to Copenhagen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Emily, it's sounds like just a grand time! I'm so glad you get to have these really cool adventures! You go girl !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you should be having such a good time without me?

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!