Sewing Produce Bags!
OK, about 75% of the time I remember to take my reusable bags to the grocery story. When I buy produce I hate those little plastic bags you have to put the veggies in. They are not even recyclable. Quite often I don't even use them and get odd looks when I lay my lonely unplasticized vegetable ( I only do ones with skin or peelings) on the checkout conveyor belt. So when I saw this idea, I was really excited. HERE is the whole article. I wonder how the mainstream grocery stores in FDL will respond to me bringing in my own produce bags?
Now, my only problem is that I don't have any basketball jerseys laying around to sew into produce bags. The idea of buying some at Goodwill to transport food in kind of gives me the creeps. I know, if I wash them in hot water they should be fine, but the thought of putting my lettuce in a bag that was once worn by some sweaty stranger just makes me uncomfortable. I wonder if there is some other material laying around my house that is lightweight, washable and breathable? Gives me something to think about.
I've been wanting some of these!
ReplyDeleteFind me some basketball jerseys from someone only sits on the bench and they are as good as sewn!
ReplyDeleteI still have yards and yards of tulle left over from our wedding. Would that work? ("Stupid tool. Stupid tulle." Ah, memories.) I would be happy to send you some!
ReplyDeleteI didn't think about tulle. I have both pink and purple tulle left over from Halloween sewing (unicorn's tail and mane and princess dress). Let me try sewing up some first and then if it works well, maybe I can use some of yours. I can sew bags for everyone! Is your tulle navy? I think you had yellow too. I would not mind using pink or purple bags but Jeff might like using a more sedate color.
ReplyDelete