Monday, November 16, 2009

Genetics

Just a note to let you all know we're still here! We've been busy.

On Saturday, we went to Wellesley, in torrential rain, for a hand-papermaking workshop. It was fun, we made a ton of paper. (Darleen, Faith Marilynn Madzar was there and asked me to say hello to you.)

We've also been gradually cleaning the house, getting ready for Bruce and Judy Fink to come for Thanksgiving. (They arrive on Saturday.) This always takes longer than I expect it will. I am blaming my genes for expecting my house to be as clean as my mother's, even though it has non-square corners, strange nooks and crannies, old windows, and layers of dust going back more than 200 years. But still, I strive for the sparkly, clean, and tidy. The battle continues.

I am also blaming genetics for the fact that I've volunteered to serve a continental breakfast and a soup and sandwich lunch to twenty people tomorrow. I made the mistake of reading ingredient labels on items at BJ's (the wholesale club that camp belongs to). I know it will all taste fine, but I think that the ingredients in sliced turkey should be "turkey, water, salt" with maybe a few spices. I was, sadly, mistaken. To make myself feel better, I splurged on good coffee.

And, it is also your fault that I'm packing a basket full of tablecloths, napkins, pretty plates and bowls, etc., and will be decanting everything from its convenient plastic packaging. Really, would we want it any other way?

Okay, off to wash and cut grapes into serving-sized bunches.

Love you!
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Amanda! I'm glad that genetic material is serving you so well! I'm sure your brunch and lunch will be much appreciated - and sometimes - for convenience - we have to ignore those labels! Have fun finishing that housework! I'm sure Judy & Bruce will notice and appreciate your sparkling environs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never be done cleaning my house. I am still working on the basement...The D & J "Peace Talks" continue as to whether it is really necessary to dust and wash the tops of the heating ducts and pipes. I am making progress, but it sure is slow. At least the basement smells fresher.

    The little Fair Trade store in FDL has a whole line of handmade paper that is made from elephant poop (I guess elephants digestive systems don't work very well- lots of cellulose goes right on through which makes nice paper). Very beautiful, and doesn't smell at all. Who would have thought excess elephant poop is a problem. More fun to make your own paper but when I can buy "pooh pooh paper" who needs to make their own?

    I miss my emails with Faith years ago. She sent me a flyer maybe 6 months ago about the peace group she is in.

    Your food will all taste delicious and a few odd ingredients won't kill you for just one meal. Well, hopefully not anyway! But why BOTH breakfast and lunch? Oh My! That is one meal too many.

    Hard to believe the holidays start next week already. I am not ready.

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!