Sunday, January 10, 2010

Croissants!

On our honeymoon, we became morning regulars at a cafe across the street from the Vltava. Our first visit was mere chance: it was the first café we passed on our morning walk. Chance had nothing to do with our second visit. We we after one thing: freshly-made croissants. Flaky, buttery, delicious croissants.

In a fit of nostalgia (and my typical hobbyist curiosity), I decided I just had to take a shot at making my own croissants. After having to abandon plans last weekend, when I realized that time constraints meant we wouldn't be eating croissants until Wednesday, I got on the ball this weekend. Fresh out of the oven:



A second attempt will be required to apply the lessons I've learned (proper shaping, attention to temperatures and egg wash, air-tight sealing…), but they are tasty, even if not beautiful. I've been given assurance that they'll pass for this week's breakfast. ;)

(By the way, they pair wonderfully with the peach-ginger jam Rachel gave us for Christmas. Thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, they look beautiful Bryan!
    I can just imagine the flavor from all those buttery layers. Crisp on the outside, soft and flaky on the inside. Yum.

    Breakfast?...for all week? I want one with a filling for lunch and maybe one with soup or stew for dinner too!

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!