The project happening in my shop right now is a new dresser for my clothes:
I also did another project before this one, to build a box for an old shotgun, and to practice making dovetails:
Of course, there is also now Christmas Exchange present work going on, but there won't be posts about that for a while. Speaking of … was I the last to learn about Andrew's post about the exchange on Popular Woodworking's blog?
I just finished reading about the box and the dresser. Cherry is a great wood to use as it is relatively easy to work with and the color does not need anything other than a clear finish. I have used cherry for some turning handles for the pizza cutter and ice cream scoops and a clear satin polyurethane finish looks good. Starting on a large project always takes longer than anticipated but you are correct in taking everything slowly to finish each component. I sometimes want to hurry a finishing part of the project, but also remember that it takes so much time to let things dry properly. The best project can be ruined with a poor finish or improperly finished with the wrong hardware. I know you will take your time and do an excellent job.
ReplyDeleteMaybe by next April, you will have time to spend in Minneapolis with Andrew in his shop and make other projects. After all the different positions he has had, and the shops he has disassembled, he has more tools than Norm Abrams and I am sure you will find anything you need to make a new project. He has other friends who have spent hours in his shop making things, and you may even have a project published in Popular Woodworking.
I am just so excited that someone else finally posted on here. I never did get responses on my posts, although they were not too exciting.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading further into your post Bryan, and to seeing you soon!