Sunday, May 24, 2009

In the Forecast: Tasty Food!

Bryan baked a delicious loaf of whole wheat bread yesterday, with freshly ground wheat flour. (We have a flour mill attachment for the Kitchenaid.) We ate most of it with baked artichoke dip for dinner last night. We made the dip using Mary's recipe, with a few variations: a ball of fresh mozzarella instead of bagged/shredded, minced garlic and a little bit of salt instead of garlic salt, and a bit of minced onion added to the mix. It was very tasty but had a slightly different taste than the original. It was quite juicy (at first, it seemed oily, but after eating most of it, I don't think that was the case), but still fine to scoop up and spread on bread.

While the dip was baking, we mixed up dough for cinnamon rolls (something neither of us had made before). We used Betty Crocker's recipe, although we had almonds instead of pecans, and I stopped buying brown sugar and instead just use white sugar with a tablespoon of molasses or so per cup. This morning, we took the prepared pan out of the fridge, let it warm up and rise just a bit more, and then baked up a delicious pan of yummy caramel-y cinnamon rolls. Wow. It was surprisingly easy, and the pay-off is huge.

Today, Bryan is brewing a batch of beer, and then we're meeting some friends for dinner at a place that has great beer and great barbecue.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Do you have" Fleischmann's Bake-it-easy Yeast Booklet, circa 1970's? The last home ec dept. I taught at had several hundred of them. When I left I took a dozen or so and might have a few left. I will mail you one.

    Wonderful recipes--still my favorite Cinnamon Bread and dinner roll recipes. Looking at it now...I have not made the Swedish Limpa, orange rye or challah for years.
    Seems the bread I make the most is the Oatmeal Bread in the Kitchen Aid Cookbook.

    I had a Mormon friend when we lived in Alliance. I think Mormon, maybe something else. Anyway,as a requirement of her religion, she kept 3 years of food in her basement. This included 3 years of wheat which she ground as needed. I remember she made popped wheat (like popped corn). It was really good.

    At the time I found it all upsetting, like the story of the Little Red Hen. My friend was always SO BUSY, Grinding, Baking, Slicing, REPEAT. Her kids and husband were always just sitting around as she hauled these huge bags of wheat up the stairs. The husband has just gotten her a new electric grinder, up until then she had to grind with a crank. Wonder why he didn't crank. Glad you bake too Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleischmann's Bake-it-easy sounds like a great reference to have around. We'd love a copy if you still have one!

    Amanda has proven that she knows full well what to do with wheat and yeast, but when it comes to fermentation in general, the responsibility tends to point in my direction. Bread, beer, sauerkraut - if a bacteria eating something is involved, I'm probably running the show. :)

    Having turned the crank to *crack* 10 pounds of barley, I can easily sympathize with someone having to *grind* a pound or more of wheat. I much prefer to attach my cordless drill to the crank shaft.

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!