Tuesday, December 1, 2020

December 1 - Snow!

 

SNOW is one of my favorite things. I love winter, and I have missed it during the years we lived in California. We had our first snow in our new house the day after we moved in (mid-October), and it has snowed, and then melted completely, several times since. 


It snowed yesterday, however, and it was finally enough that Bryan decided to give the snowblower a try - it worked! Hooray! We will be ready when the big snow comes!

Here is my favorite snow song, from one of my favorite holiday movies:

A couple of weeks ago, my friend paged through an old cookbook she found in an AirBnB. She came upon this recipe:


She wondered if I had ever heard of such a thing, because in doing more research, she found this recipe for Wisconsin Snow Pudding. Despite having grown up in Wisconsin, I had never had this or even heard of it, so of course I asked my personal home economist, my mom, and here's what she had to say:

"I have seen that snow pudding before - always in recipe books - but I've never made it. And I didn't realize it was a 'Wisconsin' thing. I've always thought of it as a kind of wobbly Schaum torte - mostly just sugar and egg whites. I'd probably like it with my sweet tooth! Especially served with raspberries and custard sauce. You should give it a try! It would be a lovely presentation for Christmas. Old cookbooks are so interesting - we can learn so much about people's lives - in and out of the kitchen."

Mom is right! I don't own any kind of decorative mold, so I don't think I can make the Wisconsin recipe - but maybe I could try the one from the old cookbook for a fun project sometime. If you are feeling ambitious and decide to make either recipe, I hope you'll take a picture and share a review!


For a bit of snowy reading, here is a snowy poem: "Snow Day" by Billy Collins

Please leave a comment to share your own thoughts on snow, or send me an email if you have a suggestion for an item to include on a future day of the advent calendar. 

Thanks for joining us for this 2020 Virtual Advent Calendar!

Amanda 

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet! And your Dad and I watched White Christmas last night - a perfect start to December. Trivia question: What are the character names of the four main characters in White Christmas (not the actors' names, the characters they play)? The winner gets to make a batch of "Snow Pudding" and eat it all without sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!