Thursday, December 3, 2020

December 3 - Mittens

What is cozier than a good pair of MITTENS? My favorite pair is one that Emily made me when she had my name for Christmas. They are purple and double-layered, with thick durable wool on the outside and soft light wool on the inside. I wear them all the time!

Emily comes by her mitten-making naturally. Darleen has just completed a massive mitten-making project that I want to share and celebrate here. Darleen made, not one, but TWO, mitten advent calendars, for Emily and Rachel to decorate their homes for the holidays!

For all the crafters, here is a link to the Ravelry pattern page. Darleen noted that she redesigned #6, since she wasn't sure what the design was supposed to be, and the red carried yarn showed through. 

When I was a small child, sitting in the back seat of the car, driving back from somewhere on a winter evening, my dad would tell the story of Granny Glittens and Her Amazing Mittens. It was in a book my dad’s parents read to him when he was little, and I found it online for us all to read: Click here to read the story! (I can verify that my dad was practically word-perfect in his retelling of this story - I could hear his voice in my head as I read it!)


Deanna is the one who taught me to knit mittens, when she and my mom came to visit me in Boston. I made one pair to give to Bryan, and they turned out really well - he has since worn them out! I started a second pair for myself but never got farther than the cuff. I should pull out that simple vintage pattern and give it another try!


If you have favorite mittens, describe them in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Darleen - your mittens are amazing! What a sweet idea. Granny Glittens would approve!

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!