Wow, did we work this weekend! Here is the run down: Saturday we rented the Bobcat and Joe hauled all of our lovely new dirt into the "new" veggie garden. I raked the piles. We also moved all of our sorry excuse for compost into the garden, before the dirt. We then put the rest of the dirt in the new flower garden. After that, we took the Bobcat over by the pole barn and pulled out railroad ties that the original owner had used for fence posts. On a high note, at the end of this tiring day, we went into Cloquet, ate at Gordy's Hi-Hat, took our meal to the local campground and sat on the edge of the St. Louis River while we ate. Then took a walk through the campground and got to taste some fresh caught walleye, deep fried, that a camper had caught and fried and offered to us passersby. Then hiked in the woods a bit along the river. It was very lovely. (Not quite broken yet.)
Sunday Joe figured out the dimensions of the garden, drew up the plan and figured out how many timbers we needed. He then spent many hours, more than one would want to think about, tilling all of the dirt and compost into the garden. I spent the entire day mowing the lawn with the push mower. We quit at 3 and went to my folks for dinner. Then to Menards where we were only able to get 5 of the 18 needed timbers. (Which actually ends up working in our favor.)
Monday: We hit the road at about 7, headed to Menards and Home Depot. First to Home Depot for 4' rebar, which they don't have in that length at Menards. Well, we also looked at timbers there. They were out of the 6x6x8' timbers in the better finish so the guy there gave us the 10' ones for the same price. I knew they matched prices, but they gave us a savings of $12+ on each of those timbers, which saved us about $185!!!! Go Home Depot! We got all we needed, then headed home and now the backs take a beating. We put the timbers around the garden and drilled holes and pounded the rebar in. We finally got done, with everything put away at about 6:30 last night. (There are still several pieces of rebar to drill for and pounds in.)
Sore and stiff this morning , but happy with a job well done. The garden is lovely, will be even more lovely when it is planted!
So, everyone, come see our new veggie garden. Maybe I will figure out pictures on this blog and get some posted as time goes on.
Love, Deanna
I want to see! Email me the pictures and I will add them to your post.
ReplyDeleteSorry I clicked too soon. I'm ananymous.
ReplyDeleteI'll be up to see the fruits of your labors in just a few weeks - you'll probably even have little green things popping up! Now if you can just keep the critters away - they've already feasted on a couple of my new plantings. Bummer.
ReplyDelete