Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blooms in the Kitchen

Years ago, at Wal-Mart in Oshkosh, I saw a yellow orchid that looked neglected and was starting to wilt. It was already on clearance. I knew if I didn't bring it home right then it was going to die. Other orchids followed.

We don't know a lot about growing them. Our white orchid blooms once in awhile and a magenta one just plain died. But the first plant, this yellow orchid is just amazing. It blooms at least once a year with the blossoms staying open for 4 or 5 months or so. It has been blooming about a month now and is sending up a 2nd stalk for more blossoms.


Last night I was watching a gardening show on PBS and the host said most orchids smell. Well mine sits back by the window and I have never gotten that close to the blooms. I ran right into the kitchen----It has the freshest scent, not heavy like a gardenia or rose but light and citrus-like, think a blend of vanilla and fresh ripe grapefruit. I have been sniffing a lot today. Just lovely to see and smell.

OK, the violets are blooming also. These are orphan violets that really belong to Emily. I need to divide and re-pot them.

All this blooming got me in the mood for spring. Took down all the winter artwork, put away the two little snowmen I have and changed the flag outside the house from Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post "Four Boys on a Sled" to Audubon's "Nesting Robins". Watch it snow tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Green Thumbs at your house!! Looks like spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once some of our other houseplants die and things thin out a bit I would like to try some slipper orchids. They look a bit like the wild lady slippers in the woods. I think they are a bit more fussy than the ones we have now. Some of our plants are so old. My mother in law tongue, was part of a FTD planter my grandfather got for his birthday one year. I don't even know the year but he died in 1974 so we can safely assume it is at least 35 years old! Jeff does a good job of remembering to water and it seems like when he does forget, that is when I remember to check, so between us, in the end plants get water!

    ReplyDelete

1. Click in the white box below and write your comment.

2. Immediately below that box see "Comment as" and to the right of that a scroll down box that says "Select Profile".

3. Scroll down to "Name/URL".

4. Type in your first name, leave the URL blank. Click "Continue".

5. Click "Post Comment" and you are done!